Random writings and photographs from an aviation photographer and airplane geek.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My published books from 2008




In 2008, I published two books. I had set a goal to publish one book in 2008. My first book That Little Yellow Airplane came out in August of 2008. I had been wanting to put out a book about Rob Harrison featuring his aerobatic performances. Unfortunately, Rob crashed at the Modesto show in May of 2008 and was hurt badly. During his recovery, I contacted his wife Susan about doing the book to pay tribute to the airplane that was destroyed. I knew it was something that was an emotional subject at the time and I was careful to treat it with the utmost of respect. After a few e-mails back and forth with corrections, suggestions and proof-reading, the book was published with the help and support of Rob and Susan Harrison. They are two fantastic people!






Once I had the first book published, I immediately began planning my second book. I envisioned a photography journal of 2008, featuring my favorite and best shots of the year. The initial folder on my computer with images for the book was well over 1,000 images! I obviously needed to pare that down to a more reasonable number so my readers wouldn't need a forklift to be able to lift the book. Plus I needed to resize all of the photos for the book, and that was going to take time. I ended up with over 500 photos. After editing that many photos, the book layout and writing was the easy part! I almost published it in mid-December, and thankfully didn't because I ended up doing another shoot on December 21. Shots from that ended up in the final pages of the book. I spent a great deal of time selecting the cover shot and a title. But like a creative moment, as I looked through the photos again, the shot and the title came like a bolt from the blue. Chasing the Dream was published on December 29, 2008.





I have been working on a project for a while to put a book together on military trainer aircraft, featuring photos that were all taken air-to-air. It's going to take some time to finish that as I have a lot of airplanes to fly in before that project is completed. Stay tuned for updates on new projects.

For anyone wanting to preview and/or purchase one of these books, you can go to my blurb profile at http://www.blurb.com/user/vg-photo

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I have been a network engineer for about 20 years. I started an aviation photography business in 2005 and have been spending a lot of time flying and shooting pictures this year. I'm getting to fly in and take photos of some historic aircraft. I live in Southern California with my wife of 10+ years and 2 children.

Followers