Random writings and photographs from an aviation photographer and airplane geek.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Gathering of Mentors- Palm Springs Airport

I will be leaving Friday for the "Gathering of Mentors" event at Palm Springs Airport, hosted by the Palm Springs Air Museum. Last year, I drove down on Friday, shot some arrivals and stayed the night to fly in the formations on Saturday before driving home. Photos from that appeared in the Mentor Monitor, the official publication of the T-34 Association, including the cover shot.
 

This was my first time covering an event like this. On Friday, after everyone had arrived, the pilots met in a hospitality room at the hotel to meet and socialize. Some of these guys were old friends, some were new to the T-34 and were meeting the rest for the first time. They talked about their airplanes, flying, what things they have done to their airplanes, modifications, FAA directives and other personalities in the T-34 world.

They come from different walks of life and different backgrounds. Some were military pilots, some were not. They all shared a common bond, the T-34.

Ron Alldredge and Marc Russell discuss engine mounts.

I sat and listened to the discussions mostly. I brought along some samples of my photographic work to give them an idea of what I have shot in the past. I was hoping this would get them thinking about angles or shots they would like to see. I was welcomed in to the group. Even though I am not a pilot, I share the passion for aviation with these guys. After the meet and greet, most of us walked down the street to have dinner and chat some more.

I had known Marc Russell for quite some time through our affiliation with the CAF. Through him I met Ron Alldredge at one of the airshows. I had been photographing both of the airplanes from the ground for quite some time. I also flew with the CAF in December of 2006 and photographed Marc's airplane.

Marc Russell's T-34 over Camarillo in December of 2006.

We had discussed an air-to-air shoot with Marc, Ron and possibly Michael Maloco. Then Marc suggested that we wait until the gathering to be able to get more shots with more T-34s. The opportunities for photos were plentiful. Not only did I get a chance to photograph some great formations and beautiful airplanes, I also got a chance to meet some of the people that fly these neat airplanes. I was "in my office" in the sky, and let me tell you, the view was breathtaking.

In the back of Ron Alldredge's T-34, the stinger in a diamond formation


Alpha flight below us, lining up for a fly by for the Palm Springs Air Museum

This year, I will be flying down in Marc Russell's T-34 for the entire event. We will depart Camarillo to join Ron Alldredge and his wife for lunch before heading out to Palm Springs together. I plan on using this space for daily updates with a few photo samples at the end of each day during the event. Stay tuned! Until Friday, here is a thumbs up from Brett Austin and George Watson.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I have been a network engineer for about 20 years. I started an aviation photography business in 2005 and have been spending a lot of time flying and shooting pictures this year. I'm getting to fly in and take photos of some historic aircraft. I live in Southern California with my wife of 10+ years and 2 children.

Followers