Random writings and photographs from an aviation photographer and airplane geek.

Friday, May 1, 2009

Palm Springs Gathering of Mentors- Day 1

Greetings from Palm Springs! Marc Russell and I took off from Camarillo Airport today at about 11:30 AM to head over to Fox Field to meet up with Ron and Paula Alldredge for lunch before heading to Palm Springs.

On final approach to Fox Field for a lunch stop


The weather was nice up at Fox with a bit of wind and some nice puffy clouds above. We did a formation takeoff from Fox Field to head to Palm Springs.

Ron and Paula Alldredge at take off from Fox Field


We headed along the desert, climbing toward the Banning Pass ahead. I took the time to capture some shots of Ron and Paula in their airplane. I have a few shots of Ron in his airplane in the sky. It was time to catch Ron AND Paula together in their airplane.






As we headed toward the Banning Pass, the weather started to look a little bleak, with some rain and gray skies. Nothing that would stop us from getting through and certainly not a show stopper. I closed the canopy and took a self portrait. Ron was quick to see that and let Marc know what I was up to back there.




Ron and Paula in the weather

Weather near Big Bear


We came down the Banning Pass and did a nice formation flyover for Palm Springs at 500 feet before breaking to land. As we broke, I was able to look right down on the Palm Springs Air Museum, our hosts for the gathering.

The Palm Springs Air Museum


We had a nice gathering at the hotel for us all to meet and enjoy some refreshments and snacks before going off to dinner.

Tomorrow will be a big day. Fifteen T-34 Mentors have shown up for the event and everyone is looking forward to a nice couple of days of flying. More to come tomorrow.

One last note, Viper and Mule, we miss seeing you guys down here this year and look forward to seeing you here next year.


I am off to get some sleep for the night. Shooter out...

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I have been a network engineer for about 20 years. I started an aviation photography business in 2005 and have been spending a lot of time flying and shooting pictures this year. I'm getting to fly in and take photos of some historic aircraft. I live in Southern California with my wife of 10+ years and 2 children.

Followers